Top Home Design Trends of 2016January 3rd, 2017 | by dwiseman | Posted in Uncategorized
The modern home is constantly evolving, and while some trends go in and out of style, others take their place in the design arena and stick around. The trends that stand the test of time are often those that allow people to live more comfortably and get more use out of their home.
When it comes to home design, kitchen and bath renovation projects still remain at the top of the list for most homeowners. But what are people demanding from these upgrades?
Here are a few trends we’ve seen in 2016 here at our premier design showroom in Hampton Roads, (and we expect many of them to stick around):
- Kitchens with Style & Function – Kitchens used to be all function, no form, but recently we’ve seen that families have been moving more and more toward creating stylish kitchens that marry the look and feel of the rest of the house. Our design team loves working with clients on crafting their perfect kitchen, because we understand no two people use this space exactly the same. We’ll ask you questions about how you entertain, and how you move around your kitchen on a typical day, to ensure you’re getting a design and look you’ll love.
- Mellow, Calming Bathrooms – Your bathroom should feel like your own personal spa, and there are so many design options available to help you find calm in these rooms. Cool tones for countertops, fixtures, flooring, and bath/shower surrounds were a big trend for bathrooms this year, and we expect to see these trends continue.
- Taking Some Design “Risks” – If you are in the market to build your own custom home, or are considering a large renovation project, why not make it uniquely yours? While families are often concerned about resale value down the road, and tend to opt for traditional design and architecture for that reason, we believe your home should fit your lifestyle since you will be the ones living in and enjoying it now!
- Working with a Designer. One trend we are very excited to see growing more popular is more people utilizing the personalized experience of working directly with a designer on their construction and remodeling projects. A designer will be able to help you select the right products and materials for your job, and will ensure that your finished space is exactly how you’ll want to enjoy using it.
- Showrooms over Big-Box Stores. The experience you’ll get walking into a Home Depot or Lowe’s is often overwhelming, impersonal, and you may walk out wondering if you really got the best advice on your product selections. When you walk into the inviting space of a design showroom like Norfolk, you are given an individualized level of attention and guidance, combined with our design team’s level of expertise and skill in knowing how to best guide you through the options in our Center.
We carefully hand-pick each of the product lines we carry here at the Norfolk Idea Center. We know every bathroom fixture, tile color, cabinet finish, and lighting style within our four walls, and we would love to help point you in the right direction for a look you or your client will love for their dream home.
The Norfolk Idea Center is located in the charming Ghent area of Norfolk at 350 W 22nd Street, Suite 101B. Our showroom hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and evenings and Saturdays by appointment. Give us a call at (757) 351-4550 or stop in to talk with our team about your project!